[PLUG] Re: [PLUG-WEB] Enough.... Let's Focus on the Issue

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Jan 8 00:50:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Felix Lee wrote:
> Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net>:
> > When a number of peers are set with equal power, they keep each other in
> > line and there is little temptation toward abuse.
>
> doesn't scale well.  works ok for 2 people, starts running into
> problems when you have more than that. --

Are you writing that from personal experience?  ...because mine differs by
180 degrees.

It works HORRIBLY with two people and really doesn't start to show pay-off
until you get up to ten or twelve, in my experience.

With a few people, it's almost impossible to distinguish rogue behavior
from a change in the group's overall goals.  The more people, the more the
goals of the group are narrowly defined (being the intersection of the
goals of many people).

With small numbers, disagreement becomes divisive and arguments degrade
quickly into personal opinions and unfounded bias.  With many, more call
is made for a person to explain their actions and petty bias doesn't fly.

Also, as one wise software developer wrote, all bugs are transparent to
the thousand eyes.

Consider that more people with the power to make change means more people
with the responsibility to change things for the better.

I am always amazed at the lengths people will go to preserve the
known-faulty hierarchical regimes.
J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin