[PLUG] linux-wlan-ng and differently configured networks

Timothy Grant tjg at craigelachie.org
Wed Jan 8 13:47:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 01:18 pm, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2003, Aaron Baer wrote:
> > Set your ESSID string to Any .. when you bring your device up it
> > will associate with ESSID of the AP that is producing the strongest
> > signal in the area.
>
> Right. The SSID string is only of real use in areas where there are
> overlapping wireless networks. In most cases, the 'any' string is what
> you want.

Thanks for this input.

The new wlan stuff has SSID specific config files, so I have the following
three files...

wlancfg-DEFAULT
wlancfg-RENTRAK
wlancfg-WLAN

It seems to me that the connection "knows" the SSID of the network that it's
finding, so it should be able to "know" which config file to use. I'm
probably completely wrong about this, but it sure would be a nice thing to
figure out if I'm not.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.