[PLUG] Horizontal lines in OO Writer document

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Wed Jan 8 16:38:01 UTC 2003

Carla Schroder wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 January 2003 11:20, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >   But, is there a way to place short, vertical lines on a page? That I
> > cannot find in the menus or help index. I can create a frame into which I
> > can type vertical text. I can align two or three items vertically, but
> > that's it.
> >
> >   Anyone know more?
>
> Well, you can create a frame, then make borders where you want lines. I don't
> know of any word processor that does it any other way. Doesn't mean there
> isn't another way....
>
> The pipe key makes a nice vertical line one line tall.

Am I missing something, or is what you are looking for a drawing tool?
In Word Perfect, you'd click Insert > Shape > ... and choose from a list
of lines, Draw Line, Horizontal Line, Vertical Line, etc. Since there's
something similar in MS Word, I expected to find it in OO Writer. When I
start OO Writer up, I have a tool bar down the left side of the window.
The top icon says "Insert" when I hover over it. The next line says,
"Insert Fields." The third one says "Insert Objects," and the fourth one
says "Show Draw Functions." Under that one I found the expected
selection of line, rectangle, ellipse, etc.

To test it, I typed a few lines on the page with some white space around
them, and put one of them over on the right side. Then, I drew a
horizontal line between the two on the left, and a vertical line between
them and the one on the right.

Is that the kind of line you're looking for?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://rsteff.home.attbi.com/