[PLUG] Screen Resolution problem with CYCAS

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Wed Jan 8 18:16:01 UTC 2003

Kyle Accardi wrote:

> One of the things that is really nice is the ability to toggle layers
> (visible or not), currently xfig only uses a numbering system, but the
> author has told me that soon the layers will be able to be labeled--does
> CYCAS have such a thing?

I haven't played with it yet, but CYCAS does support layers. From a
first glance, it looks as if there are only 10 layers, which is nowhere
near enough for serious work. I don't know if that's a limitation of the
free version, or just where they are at this stage of development. The
layers can be named, though.

Oops! I just took a closer look. There's a dialog box with 10 entries,
the first one named Layer 0 by default and all the rest named ***
Unregistered ***. There are also 10 tabs, numbered 0 through 9, and each
one of those has 10 entries too, so that's 100 layers. Not unreasonable,
although Corel CAD, and even Generic CAD (DOS program from the 80's) had
255 layers.

While it is possible to tell CYCAS to use feet or inches, the default is
metric, and dimensions entered by hand have to be done in centimeters.
That's a bit of a nuisance. I haven't tried showing dimensions, yet, so
I don't know how well they convert.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens