[PLUG] Horizontal lines in OO Writer document

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jan 8 18:36:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Richard Steffens wrote:

> I used Word Perfect 5.1 from the late 80's through 1995 or so (my wife
> still uses it on a 286 for transcription work!), then switched to WP 7
> when I got a machine with Win95. WP 8 came with my most recent machine
> along with Win98 (about 2 years ago). There are still a few features I
> don't want to do without on that version. Too bad they didn't keep up
> with their Linux port.

  WP/8 for linux was one reason I put off changing from RH 6.2 for so long.
:-)

  I was thinking of Carla's comment about OO's drawing tool being the same
as in winWord as I was cooking dinner. I left the "working for others" world
at the end of June, 1993. Every place I had worked used mainframes, minis or
PCs running DOS. In April, 1994 I added a new GIS to my toolbox and had to
go out and buy/install win3.1. I think it was 1996 or 7 that I had to
upgrade to win95 for the latest version of that application.

  So, other than very early versions of Microsoft C and FORTRAN compilers,
I've never used any Microsoft application other than their operating
systems. My knowledge of winWord is based on the frustrated rants of folks I
know who unloaded on me when they had to leave WordPerfect for that. I've
not used Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook or IE, either. No wonder I'm
clueless on how apps like OO and AbiWord work!

  I went from DOS to linux, and the only windoze apps I've used are the GIS
(which I stopped upgrading in 1997) and the GPS mission
planning/differential correction software that I still pay through the nose
to keep fairly current. What a deprived adulthood I've had!

  Since I lack the experience in "The Micosoft Way to True Enlightenment and
Office Productivity" I ask your patience with the non-intuitive questions I
ask here.

Thanks all,