[PLUG] Horizontal lines in OO Writer document

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jan 8 22:15:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 18:32, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Richard Steffens wrote:
> > I used Word Perfect 5.1 from the late 80's through 1995 or so
<snip>
>>   WP/8 for linux was one reason I put off changing from RH 6.2 for so long.

>   I was thinking of Carla's comment about OO's drawing tool being the same
> as in winWord as I was cooking dinner. I left the "working for others"
> world at the end of June, 1993. Every place I had worked used mainframes,
> minis or PCs running DOS. In April, 1994 I added a new GIS to my toolbox
> and had to go out and buy/install win3.1. I think it was 1996 or 7 that I
> had to upgrade to win95 for the latest version of that application.
>
>   So, other than very early versions of Microsoft C and FORTRAN compilers,
> I've never used any Microsoft application other than their operating
> systems.

<snip more>

>   Since I lack the experience in "The Micosoft Way to True Enlightenment
> and Office Productivity" I ask your patience with the non-intuitive
> questions I ask here.

Poor lad, perhaps we can rectify this sad lack in your life experience. :)

Something cool I just noticed is Open Office has anchor point options for both
frames, and for lines and objects created with the drawing tools. The main
ones being page-relative, or paragraph-relative. With old MS Word, there were
no anchors, and lines and text frames were independent of the text, so there
was lots of tedious hand-editing when any changes were made to the text.
Delete a sentence, lines had to realigned manually. I do like these modren
times.

--
Carla Schroder