[PLUG] Getty Question

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Jan 9 14:50:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Piet van Weel wrote:

> Ok.. for some reason I'm drawing a blank on this...
>
> I've got getty spewing lines of garbage every 5 minutes or so...
>
> 1. How do I disable it?

Depending on your distribution it may vary but those based on SysV
(Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake, ...) getty is controlled from lines in
/etc/inittab.
   Find the _*offending*_ line(s) with getty in them and comment them out.
Danger Will Robison.  getty my be controlling your virtual terminals and
if you disable them all you could prevent yourself from logging on.

After commenting those you are brave enough to ... restart (?) init by
typing
	telinit Q

A better idea would be to determine why you're getting those messages and
then fixing the problem if possible.

Good luck,
Rod