[PLUG] Microsoft Update?

Steve Coffman divinstr at dsl-only.net
Thu Jan 9 17:29:01 UTC 2003

Well this is interesting as it is humorous.
My wife's system came down with a virus and I did a full wipe and
re-install. We are still using Win98 on the desktops since we are both avid
game players. I absolutely refuse to use Outlook in any form (I use
Eudora), and I have not used "Infection Explosion" (IE) since version 4.0 (
I use Opera).
Anyway, I re-installed the Office 97 sr2 on my wife's computer and then
went to the Microsoft Update site  for any security patches.
This was my response from MS (LOL):

To find the updates you need faster and easier,
visit this site with MSN or Internet Explorer.

The Office Product Updates site can perform detection on your computer and
tell you exactly which updates you need! To take advantage of this service,
please visit the site with MSN Explorer or Microsoft Internet Explorer
version 5.0 or later. If you are already using Internet Explorer 5.0 or
later and you are using a personal firewall product, your personal firewall
product may be interfering with browser detection. Please turn off your
personal firewall product and then try visiting this site again.
Internet Explorer can be downloaded from the Microsoft Internet Explorer
Homepage.
Search for Office Product Updates on the Office Download Center.

Are they really that stupid? Never mind, rhetorical question :)