[PLUG] Shutdown won't power down

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Fri Jan 10 11:15:03 UTC 2003

To my knowledge it's not possible to get systems that use AT power
supplies to power down unless the motherboard has some way to cut off
the power coming from the power supply. The power switch on AT power
supplies is connected directly to the power supply which is different
than what ATX power supplies which use an electronic on/off in which
the mobo can turn off the system via power management features.

You can see this with an ATX as if the power goes out it's possible to
specify what the system should do when power is restored in the CMOS
settings. I have my ATX systems set to stay off when the power comes
back on. You can't do this with an AT power supply because as long as
the power switch is in the closed position the system will power up
when power is restored.

I have one system that still uses an AT power supply and I have to do
special things when the power goes out to get the UPS that is connected
to it to power down the system. If I don't do this my UPS's battery
will be severely drained since the system will continue to run even
though the operating system has already been halted. Draining the UPS
battery below a certain point isn't a good thing to do since it can
reduce the life of the battery.

An ATX power supply will continue to feed power to the mobo even when
the system is turned off. I know most of my mobos have a red LED that
is illuminated to indicate power is still being supplied to the mobo
even when the system isn't powered on and running. This is why ATX
power supplies also have an external switch on them so you can you can
turn off the power completely to the mobo if you have to.

Tony