[PLUG] Help!!! PC won't boot to flash bios

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Fri Jan 10 20:19:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 20:06, Jim Webb wrote:
> Cooper,
>
> Thanks for the help.  Since I sent out my urgent appeal to the list,
> I've pulled the cmos battery and applied the default bios settings and
> then saved the changes.  I then attempted multiple times to stop the pc
> from booting up past the memory screen and was able to access an asus
> utility called ezflash.  I then was able to to reflash the bios to the
> original version.

Alright!

> What an adrenalin rush.

Yeah, been there! Another good one is 'rm -rf' on a production server.
That'll do it too. Solution: 'cp -R' from your NFS backup and after
having made sure everything is okay, wash your flush-red face with cool
water.

And never do it again (hint: find / -type d -name directory_to_delete
-ok {} \; ).

> Do you think that I should reflash the bios piecemeal or stepwise from
> version 11 to 15 and stop whenever it works and I can get my pc to both
> recognize the cpu correctly, which it did after I flashed the bios to
> version 15, and then be able to bootup?

I would. Given this experience might I suggest running out to their web
sight and seeing if the new versions will buy you anything. A lot of
times you'll find $version_one_up_from_the_one_you_have contains a fix
for the CPU reporting issue. Sometimes, though, the fixes listed for
each version have little bearing on your situation. It's not likely you
would need an update that fixes an issue with an Adaptec MegaRAID
controller, for example.

If one were paranoid on this, one does not need the potential for DRM
additions added to the new BIOS versions as a "feature." I seriously
doubt it in this case but reports I am hearing indicate that AMI has
basically said, "we'll give you DRM weather you like it or not" for
their latest BIOS releases.

-Cooper