[PLUG] pthreads/glibc question

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun Jan 12 14:07:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 12:21, Alan wrote:
> I am in the process of researching this, but maybe someone here knows
> off the top of their head...
>
> I am using the Redhat 8.0.92 beta.  It uses glibc 2.3.1 and gcc 3.2.1.
>
> I have been getting lockups, but I built a stock kernel version
> 2.4.21-pre3 with the options from the Athlon smp kernel used by Redhat.
>
> It boots fine, but pthreads will *not* function at all.
>
> Does anyone have an idea why?  I was not aware of any dependancies of
> pthreads on the kernel version and/or kernel patches needed to support
> pthreads.  The pthreads library is the one that comes from the glibc
> package.
>
> May not seem like a big deal, but there are a number of things that
> depend on pthreads.  (Like anything using Gnome 2.)
>
> Ideas?

I am starting to get a handle on the problem.

It seems that the new version of Redhat uses a couple of kernel patches
used by glibc. They do not apply cleanly to the stock kernel. (They use
the o1 scheduler patch and a threading patch.) The thread library they
are using is different as well. They are using the nptl library.

I am starting to suspect that this is the cause of my system hang
problems.

Ah, the joys of betas...

--
Alan <alan at clueserver.org>