[PLUG] Using other window managers with gdm

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Mon Jan 13 12:33:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 12:16, Aaron Baer wrote:
> Is anyone using gdm(2) as their login manager under Debian and then
> using some other desktop environment other than gnome? ie. blackbox or
> icewm..

I don't use gdm, but when KDE tries to take over my "Xsession", I just
create a file in my home directory called .xsession and put the single
line:

blackbox

in the newly created file (don't forget to press "enter" at the end of
the line).  This will load blackbox instead of KDE.  You might try
changing login managers if gdm still insists on loading gnome.  I think
xdm is a friendly login manager that doesn't care what window manager is
loaded.

> I'm trying to track down some good advice or documentation to allow me
> to fire off those environments.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree