[PLUG] USB digital camera

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Mon Jan 13 14:16:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> /dev/sda (with the data in /dev/sda1).  [side question:  What happens when
> you've got SCSI hard disks as well?  I only have SCSI CD drives which
> are /dev/scd.]
You get sdb, sdc, etc. The order is determined by the order of SCSI adapters
first. I.e. the first SCSI module you load will be scsi0, say, it's your real
SCSI card, and there are disks there, sda and sdb, then you load usbstorage
and get scsi1 and sdc. I don't know what determines the order inside USB
subsystem (order of plugging in if you plug them in one at a time, but if
you have 2 devices connected when you load usbstorage then I don't know).

> Anyway, I liked the gphoto interface because I could pull the images as
> well as thumbnails from the camera.  It appears that the thumbnails were
> actually being generated by the camera because they're not on the card.
They are generated by the camera. I don't know how your camera works, but
the ones I know generate thumbnails "inside" the main file (like Photoshop
embeds its "preview" image into a large image file).

> What's that all about?  How do I generate thumbnails that aren't simply
> scaled down standard JPEGs?
That's what the thumbnails usually are, lower-resolution lower-quality JPEGs.
The standard Linux way of generating them is to use ImageMagic, it has
command-line tools for converting and rescaling images. I don't know how to
generate an image with embedded preview though (but then I've never seen
anything except Photoshop to make use of these previews, other image
viewers either ignore them or get confused by them).

--
                                  Fedor G. Pikus
Mentor Graphics Corporation         | Phone: (503) 685-4857