[PLUG] USB digital camera

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Jan 13 15:44:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Fedor G. Pikus wrote:
> > Anyway, I liked the gphoto interface because I could pull the images as
> > well as thumbnails from the camera.  It appears that the thumbnails were
> > actually being generated by the camera because they're not on the card.
>
> They are generated by the camera. I don't know how your camera works,
> but the ones I know generate thumbnails "inside" the main file (like
> Photoshop embeds its "preview" image into a large image file).

This is the avenue I'll pursue re: EXIF standard images.

> > What's that all about?  How do I generate thumbnails that aren't simply
> > scaled down standard JPEGs?
>
> That's what the thumbnails usually are, lower-resolution lower-quality
> JPEGs. The standard Linux way of generating them is to use ImageMagic,
> it has command-line tools for converting and rescaling images. I don't
> know how to generate an image with embedded preview though (but then
> I've never seen anything except Photoshop to make use of these
> previews, other image viewers either ignore them or get confused by
> them).

That was sort of the point of giving the output from file(1).

jbrelin at person:~/pics$ !file
file 20000622-001.jpg 20000622-thumbnail-001.jpg
20000622-001.jpg:           JPEG image data, EXIF standard 0.73, 10752 x
2048
20000622-thumbnail-001.jpg: JPEG image data 46.38, thumbnail 65x61, 13874
x 13893

Note that the second file (with "thumbnail" in the name) claims that it is
a thumbnail image, not an EXIF standard image.

I'll play around with it.

Thanks everyone for the help.
J.
--