[PLUG] Clinic announcement + note

Dan Haskell danh at fork.com
Tue Jan 14 19:56:01 UTC 2003

OK, when I said I wouldn't post on the topic again, I lied. God help me, I
can't let this "apology" go by.

On 14 Jan 2003, AthlonRob wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 14:51, AthlonRob wrote:
>
> I'm sorry for the level of vulgarity there, guys...

You apologize for "the level of vulgarity", but no apology for abusing
another participant? What a quaint tactic!

> If I could, I would un-post my first post and re-post it without the use
> of the f-word.
>
> I was a bit... peeved.

Did you complain in December when I announced that the Clinic was canceled
due to it's proximity to Christmas? Was Christmas any more germane to the
Plug list than the rally? No, you got angry because I posted something
*you* disagreed with. And then, instead of dealing with my announcement in
a constructive way, you let loose with a torrent of insults and
expletives.

I was very careful in my original posting to keep the hole thing low key.
No polemics, no sloganeering, and no appeal to emotion. It astounds me
that the very mention of an anti-war march provoked such an extreme
reaction from you. Three little sentences sent you into a frothing frenzy.
That was quite impressive.

> As many of you [should] know, the Marine reservists stationed up at
> Swan Island (the 6th Engineer Support Battalion) got marching orders
> Saturday morning and are shipping off sometime between tonight and
> Friday.  They are very much rearing to go - but I don't think we
> really want to touch on that too much for fear of making this thread
> too much longer.  Anyway, one of the Marines shipping off is my best
> friend since the 6th grade.  He is quite willing to go.  Still, he is
> putting his life in danger, and as such, I was a bit PO'd to see the
> post I originaly responded to.

The fact that your friend is a good soldier and a patriot does not and
never will make this war right. Good men should not be sent off to die on
the false pretext of a war on terrorism. Afganistan was one thing, but
Bush has *never* made the case that Iraq has anything to do with terrorism
- but yet that's supposedly why they're going.

Your anger at me make no sense. If I had my way no one would be shipping
off to risk their lives attacking Iraq.  If you really want to show
respect for your friend you should come down and march with us.

> I'd like to apologize to the list... the language in my post was out of
> line...

The Brownshirts played an interesting role in pre-war Germany, they were
sent out to shout down the opposition. Your posting was more than a little
reminiscent of their tactics. Was that intentional?