[PLUG] Advanced Topics Meeting - this *Thursday*

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jan 15 22:33:01 UTC 2003

On 13 Jan 2003, Russell Senior wrote:

>Speaking of bachelorette parties, I am wondering whether there might
>be interest in having a local author come give a talk on Pornography,
>given the number of times the subject comes up in humorous remarks in
>PLUG.  There is a fellow named David Loftus, who I know through his
>occasional contributions to local newsgroups that has just released a
>book titled: _WATCHING SEX -- How Men Really Respond to Pornography_.
>I went to a publication party he threw over the weekend and got a
>copy.  The Oregonian had a notice last week in Jonathon Nicholas's
>column.
>
>I have not approached him on the subject of a talk and it seems very
>unlikely for this month, but I would be happy to ask him if there is
>interest.  Maybe combine it with the one Eric Harrison has mentioned a
>few times (but that I've forgotten the precise details on).

Just to make sure that no one gets the wrong impression...

I was going to do a presentation on filtering out porn web sites, not
on porn itself ;-)

Now if we DID want to do such a talk, I could throw my 2 cents in on
"_TRICKS OF THE TRADE -- How Pornography Website Operators Really
  Respond to Web Filters_"  <grin>

The original idea was that "filtering" might make a controversial subject
for us to discuss. That has not proven to be true.

It is now a bit of an inside-joke. One of the side-effects of the Childrens
Internet Protection Act is that I'm now making a list of ~300,000 known
porn sites publicly available...

http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/

-Eric