[PLUG] Second X server auth question

brendan melia mollusk at angryloner.org
Thu Jan 16 12:53:02 UTC 2003

I have run into a problem with trying to run a 2nd X server on my
system. I am trying to run a windows program using wine. The win app
works best in 8bpp color and I would prefer not to restart my main X
server constantly to accomadate it. I can launch a  second X server using

xinit /usr/bin/esddsp /usr/bin/wine  ${WINAPP} -- :1 -xf86config
XF86Config-win -ac

and it works fine. but if I attempt to invoke it without the disabling
auth checking (-ac), the X sessions starts but the app won't connect.
The only error i receive is:

..
AUDIT: Thu Jan 16 12:33:53 2003: 26746 X: client 1 rejected from local host
Xlib: No protocol specified

I have attempted to use xhost to add permission for the client to
connect, both from a term in my original X session and as part of the
xinit command, but to no avail. If I understand the docs correctly, I
should be able to use xhost from within the 2nd X server to grant
permission to the client to connect, but I'd prefer not to launch a
shell if it is avoidable. Any ideas for how I can allow the client to
make the connection without turning off auth checking altogether?

-brendan-