[PLUG] SOLVED: Root login when LDAP server or network is down?

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Mon Jan 20 19:38:02 UTC 2003

Never mind. I found the solution.

When you run 'authconfig' on Red Hat there's two places where you get to
select LDAP, once for "User Information" and once for "Authentication."
If you select LDAP for both you get the undesired behavior I described.
If you select LDAP only for "User Information" then you get what I would
consider desirable behavior. That is, when the LDAP server is down
LDAP users can't log in but local users (including root) can.

Terry