[PLUG] Mozilla?

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Mon Jan 20 21:18:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 20:56, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> Now that I'm using Mandrake 9.0 I'm also using Mozilla 1.1.  Good
> grief is it ever slow!  Even compared to Netscape 4.7x it's slow!
> Any ideas how I can speed it up?  I don't like Konquerer much.

Recompile it with some optimizations!  :-)

I get a 75% or so speed increase just in launch times recompiling
Mozilla.  Get yourself a healthy set of CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS and compile
away.  Be aware, though, that if you want to use Java with it, you'll
need to compile it with GCC < 3.2 *or* recompile Java - which is a bear,
lemme tell ya (been working on that now, via Gentoo's emerge, for a day
or two).

But if you do recompile it with GCC <3.2, you won't get near the speed
improvement as if you compile it with GCC 3.2.

Oh, another option:  Use Galeon.  It's based around Mozilla, but much
more lightweight and quite a bit speedier (except actual rendering is
about on par as it *does* use Gecko for that).

Rob