[PLUG] Rat off a Sinking Ship?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Jan 22 14:15:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, guy1656 wrote:

> I am running Mandrake 8.1
>
> Now that they are filing for bankruptcy, what's the simplest way to migrate
> to something 'still viable?'

Mandrake is "not dead yet".  (Just resting?)

The chapter 11-like proceedings are supposedly to get out of a bunch of
bad contracts they got involved with during the dot-com days.  (Though
there may be more to this than is being let on here. I will have to ask
some of the ex-Mandrake people.)

I would see how 9.1 looks before jumping ship.  If it does not show up by
July, then you might want to look into it a bit more seriously.

Redhat 8.1 is starting to look very nice.  It uses the latest version of
XFree86 and a bunch of bleeding edge stuff.  Some of it is very cool.
(The beta has problems with dual processor machines though. Fixed in the
Rawhide version.)

SuSE's installer does some things that make me wary of it.  Need to install
it when i have a disk that can be totally reformatted.