[PLUG] Rat off a Sinking Ship?

Timothy Grant tjg at craigelachie.org
Wed Jan 22 17:05:03 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 08:25 am, alan wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Timothy Grant wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 January 2003 02:00 pm, guy1656 wrote:
> > > I am running Mandrake 8.1
> > >
> > > Now that they are filing for bankruptcy, what's the simplest way to
> > > migrate to something 'still viable?'
> >
> > While I believe that Mandrake will successfully emerge from bankruptcy,
> > If you have the time and patience and bandwidth Gentoo just can't be
> > beat.
>
> Gentoo is quite cool, but not for beginners.  (I built it on my laptop.
> That was a learning experience!)  The dependancy build system is quite
> nice.  Not to be installed on a 486 though...  (Not unless you have a few
> weeks for the install.)

My first install took a while and it was on my ThinkPad 570E. It went pretty
well, but some of the details took a while.

I just put it on my ThinkPad R31, and have had much more difficulty, not so
much with Gentoo, as with Linux on this machine. It's been *very*
educational.

Small footprint, fast programmes, you know exactly what's on your box when
your done.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.