[PLUG] Re: Ipcop install

Dirk Ouellette hapibeli at attbi.com
Wed Jan 22 21:29:01 UTC 2003

The following is the page I have trouble with in telling my Ipcop
install where to go to pick up my ipcop.tgz file. Where do I put the
.tgz file so the install box can get it?
Dirk

 This step is only needed if you are installing from bootable floppy and
FTP/Web Server. In the root directory  /  of the iso image there is a
file named  ipcop.tgz. This file contains a compressed image of the
IPCop hard drive. Copy this file to a machine that is running a web
server or FTP server. Put it where the server can find it during
install. During the install, IPCop will log in to your FTP or web server
as anonymous. Most servers do not allow anonymous users to access files
out of the server's hierarchy. Even though a directory appears at the
top level of the server, such as  /pub  they really are somewhere else,
such as  /anonftp/pub.

If you are creating your private network for the first time, change the
IP address of the server machine to be on the private, GREEN, network,
using a static address. You only need to do this for the duration of the
install.

If your server machine is connected to the Internet, remove the
connection and physically connect your IPCop PC and other machines
together. See Appendix A, for a discussion of your choices. If you are
using 192.168.1.1 for the IPCop PC, 192.168.1.2 is a good address for
the server. Set the server up with a static IP address, temporarily. You
will need to reboot any Windows PC if you change its IP address.

Verify that the IPCop installation file is available via the FTP command
or entering its URL from a browser, even if you have to do it from the
server machine. You can cancel the download or close your browser once
you are sure the URL works.