[PLUG] On the topic of distributions

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Jan 22 22:10:02 UTC 2003

At 09:50 PM 1/22/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>  8.0, I understand, used a prerelease version of glibc that
>causes problems with some things.

According to this article,
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2002-10/msg00050.html, the
maintainer of the glibc package told them it would be a good thing.

>7.0, IIRC, shipped with a prerelease version of gcc that didn't compile
>things very well, especially c++ code.

Yeah, gcc 2.95 was a bad thing. Unfortunately, it's nearly as painful going
from 2.96 to 3.2, as RH 7.3 to 8.x and Mandrake 8.x(?) to 9.x did.

The thing is, it's all beta. Nothing is complete, and most of the time,
someone will think their way is better. It's all a matter of opinion, and
perspective.

Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online
http://www.dimstar.net