[PLUG] Rat off a Sinking Ship?

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Thu Jan 23 11:06:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 18:52, Preston Crawford wrote:

> Also depends on whether you want to wait weeks to have a usable system.
> Not sure a couple weeks of lost productivity is worth the nanoseconds of
> time you save because your apps run a hair faster.

Well.. Gentoo wasn't built around the idea of folks running K6-2 350's.

If you're running an old CPU on an old system, Gentoo could certainly
take a week to compile.  On this slow (cost me $708) 1.7GHz P4 laptop, I
had a usable system (with X and fluxbox) in roughly ten hours, total.  I
was only actually attending the system for about two of those hours, and
that was only because I was screwing around trying to get funny things
working.  I would guess most folks only spend about an hour on it.

On the typical system (this 1.7GHz P4 doesn't compile very much quicker
than my super-Duron 650) you should be able to have a productive system
in a weekend.... certainly you won't lose a couple weeks of
productivity!  And my apps run more than a hair faster... Mozilla loads
up about twice as fast, optimized, as un-optimized.  Gentoo loads up
quicker than Slackware, and Slackware loads up a ton faster than RedHat
or Mandrake, etc. (can't speak for Debian - when I was running that, it
was inside vmware)

Rob