[PLUG] On the topic of distributions

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Thu Jan 23 17:11:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 04:05:15PM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:

> Jeme> That's what --prefix is for.
>
> Just to echo, I do this.  I've got a whole constellation of packages
> built from source tarballs in a /packages hierarchy.  I run Debian
> underneath this to let it take care of maintaining packages that I
> don't.  Autoconf makes it easy.

Just out of curiosity, is there any good reason not to download the
source and compile it locally, and then make your own packages. That
way you can have the best of both worlds. How difficult is it to create
a new Debian package? This would solve the problem of having relatively
ancient software at hand if you're not willing to upgrade to the
"unstable" tree.

Paul