[PLUG] Locking up again.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jan 23 19:34:02 UTC 2003

On 23 Jan 2003, Russell Senior wrote:
> Damn.  Sorry about that.

I don't blame you, I just think it's highly ironic.

> I've got another one if you are interested. Given the respective
> vintages, I suspect that if the one I sold you went bad, eventually
> the one I have left will too, but it might be useful until you can
> find a reliable replacement.  You can have it for the price of a short
> bike ride (though I'll have to locate it and extract it from my pile).

I will GLADLY come pick this up.  Let me know when it's extracted.

> I don't know what the warranty status of these things is.  You'd think
> that some sort of monetary settlement from A-bit would be in order,
> considering that the damn things aren't being manufactured anymore.

Has A-Bit done nothing about it except honor the warranty on those that
failed within the limit?

> For what it's worth, I ended up getting a SuperMicro
> something-or-other, another dual P3 motherboard.  It was physically
> bigger and had a different RAID chipset (Promise instead of HT (??)),
> but at least it worked with the CPU's I had already invested in.  I
> liked the VP6's feature set, but obviously the reliability sucked when
> it started flaking out.

No kidding.

If anybody here is very handy with the soldering of the type mentioned in
the links Steve posted, I'd be happy to entertain estimates on replacing
the capacitors on my failing board with brand new ones.

Anybody do this sort of thing?  I'd rather just work with some hobbyist
who's fairly confident than go to a shop where I'm paying for the
guarantee (i.e., paying "insurance" for a possible failed outcome).

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net