[PLUG] debian 3.0 adding xterm to fluxbox menu using debian menus

Benjamin Prew bprew at logiccloud.com
Fri Jan 24 11:01:02 UTC 2003

I am running debian "woody" and have recently install fluxbox as my
windowmanager (previously:blackbox), and I was trying to get a shortcut
to xterm on my right-click menu in the main section "Debian".

I read the man pages for menus under debian and have tried creating a
.menu file in my home directory that contains the fluxbox menu, like
this:

?package(fluxbox):needs=fluxbox section="Debian" title="Xterm"
command="xterm -rv"

eof

After saving it, I've run update-menus -v and it appears to be
processing my ~/.menu directory, just like the man page said it would,
but I get no Xterm after quitting and restarting the X server.

I have also tried creating a ~/.menu-methods with the file fluxbox in
there that looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

cat > /home/bprew/out

eof

just like the man page said to do when you are trying to debug what
update-menus passes to menu-methods.  Running update-menus -v after that
shows it to be processing ~./menu-methods, but the file /home/bprew/out
does not exist.

So, this would lead me to conclude that nothing is getting passed to
menu-methods, but I cannot imagine this is the case as it has created
menus in the past when I have installed new debian packages and
continues to do it after my little tests when I install a new one.

So, this ultimately leads me to believe that I am mis-interpreting the
man pages and doing something wrong.  If anyone has any suggestions or
directions to point me in, I would appreciate it.  And yes Karl, I have
searched google, but I willing to admit that I may have not used the
best search words.

Thanks
--
Ben