[PLUG] debian 3.0 adding xterm to fluxbox menu using debian menus

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Fri Jan 24 12:19:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 10:59, Benjamin Prew wrote:
> I am running debian "woody" and have recently install fluxbox as my
> windowmanager (previously:blackbox), and I was trying to get a shortcut
> to xterm on my right-click menu in the main section "Debian".

If it is installed, it should have a menu entry under "Debian/Xshell".
Look in /usr/lib/menu, all default menu entries are there and I've had
great success with adding new entries there (don't forget to run
"update-menus" after you add the new listings).

Here is what I did after installing OpenOffice:

?package(local.openoffice):needs=X11 section=Apps/Tools title="OpenOffice" command="~/OpenOffice.org641/soffice"

> I read the man pages for menus under debian and have tried creating a
> .menu file in my home directory that contains the fluxbox menu, like
> this:
>
> ?package(fluxbox):needs=fluxbox section="Debian" title="Xterm"
> command="xterm -rv"

There is actually no Debian "section".  I think the window manager may
consider everything in /usr/lib/menu to be "Debian menus". I haven't run
fluxbox, so I don't know what it does with menus, though.

HTH

Derek Loree