[PLUG] help! attachment hell

L. Siobhan Elliott siobhan at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Jan 25 09:43:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 07:43:52AM -0800, Bruce Kingsland wrote:
> My sister is still living in the darkside of computing, and just got
> herself a brand new 'latest and greatest' system all set up. Now, my
> email that is sent with gpg signatures (which she used to get just
> fine) shows up with only a subject line and an attachment. She deletes
> all messages with attachments - the virus thing.
>
> Any ideas how I can direct her to fix this problem, short of me
> sending my email in the clear?

Outlook Express, which she is probably using does not support
handling PGP/mime signatures properly (which mutt, your mua, creates
by default when you sign your mail).  For all its other flaws,
Outlook proper does have better mime support and so it will display
such signed mails properly, that may have been the mailer she was
using before. She can either use a mail client that supports PGP/mime
(most Windoze clients don't -- standards, what's that? =( )... or
if she doesn't want to switch, you could clear-sign your emails to
her. What I have in my .muttrc for sending signed mail to OE users
is:

macro compose S "Fgpg -a --clearsign -u <MY KEY ID>"

So from mutt, in the compose window I just hit 'S' to clear-sign
the mail, making it readable in OE... but which is kind of a pain
to do :/... since you'll have to turn off autosigning, if you have
it enabled, for these 'special cases'.

Kind regards,
--
L. Siobhan Elliott