[PLUG] RH 8.0 install goof

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Sun Jan 26 10:00:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 09:44, Dirk Ouellette wrote:
> I've got a bit of a problem with the RH 8.0 install I just did on my
> daughter's and her boyfriend's computer. I'm using one of the Evaluation
> cd's from the RH visit to the Linux clinic and during the initial boot,
> the RH up2date window asked if I wanted to get the pgp key and I
> inadvertently clicked yes. Now the machine sits as root at a0-00-9e-xxxxxxx
> or user at a0-00-9e-xxxxxxx and though their attbi.com as working fine we
> can't reach the internet or email.During login it says it" can't reach
> IP address a0-00-9e-xxxxxxx and Gnome may not work properly, try again
> or login anyway". No kidding. How do I rid them of the pgp key and or
> help them reach out and touch the virtual world. It obviously did so
> initially when it grabbed this damnable key!
> Dirk
>

> It is a broadband connection. No LAN. There was only the initial startup when RedHat tried to download the updates to the system, [ there have been numerous updates to my home system since I installed RH 8 after it first came out], and my daughter's new install was trying to do that before we saw the first Gnome desktop. So it picked up and installed the MAC? address before I knew that it was doing it.
>
> Let me add this;
> When I tried to run up2date as root after this install,
> my answer was this;
>
> gpg : /root/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg : trustdb created
>
> gpg : keyring : /root/.gnupg/secring.gpg : created
>
> Is this trustdb a data base and the secring some kind of security key [ code ] ??
Looks like your hostname is screwed up.  Once you get logged in, type:
hostname.  If it comes back with the a0-00-9e-xxxxxxx, then retype
hostname <name of system>.  Check your host file in /etc.  Is your
hostname and IP address there?  If you are with attbi, then they are
giving you that hostname when you connect with their DHCP settings.
Others can give you advice using attbi.com settings.

Ken