[PLUG] Gnome Panel Menus

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Jan 28 14:56:01 UTC 2003

I've spent quite a bit of time looking but I can't find a decent anwser or
pointer.  Possibly I've got the wrong terms.
   I just installed RHL 8.0 from a downloaded set of ISOs.  No upgrade
since I had a new SCSI hard drive and contoller and a mostly stock
Workstation configuration.  Back in my RHL 7.x days I had my desktop
pretty much like I wanted it and I did save all the .desktop files for use
later.  The problem is I can't figure out how to get a drop-down (pop-up)
menu on the panel likeI had before.  There is nothing I can find at the
Gnome site or the on-machine help that explains how.
   On the old system I had a directory in ~/.gnome/apps/ called Connect
and it had subdirectories which had .desktop files.  Thinking I'd be
clever I copied the Connect directory in to .gnome/apps/ (and
.gnome2/apps/ to be sure) but no joy.  Any ideas or pointers to how to do
this?

This does bring up one of my really big conplaints about the Linux
desktop.  There seems to be a race to have the 'coolest' looking desktop
but no real effort to make it personally functional.  Have you noticed it
is very difficult to really customise.
   On the up side I didn't have to fiddle with the /etc/X11/ stuff to get
ssh-agent running - it is.  I just open a window and do a ssh-add and can
securely connect to the world with minimal hassle.

Rod