[PLUG] how do I run a program without having to maintain a remote terminal?

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Tue Jan 28 17:46:02 UTC 2003

$ (program-name&)

the ()'s detach this process from it's parent (the terminal), the &
makes it run in the background. You should be able to do that, then
logout.

Another option is to use screen, then you can re-attach a terminal to
the process at same point. (screen -r)

ie:

$ screen <program>

C-ad detaches the current screen sesion, then logout.

$ screen -r # reattaches to this terminal, so you can interact
            # with the program again.

-Rogan