[PLUG] 2 Questions

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jan 29 20:26:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 08:01 pm, Dirk Ouellette wrote:
>  The damn firewall will NOT go below High no matter how I try
> to set it lower using redhat config and the GUI supplied in the distro.
> I even reinstalled and specified NO firewall and was ignored.

The RH8 gui firewall utility uses iptables, edit iptables directly and you
should be fine.

On older red hats the gui firewall tool configured ipchains, which led to some
rude surprises and confusion when you set up iptables. Those 'dangit, I know
I did it right, what the heck is wrong!' moments, only in more colorful
language. Then the d'oh moment, remembering lokkit uses ipchains, which was
gumming up the works. Life on the edge....

--
Carla Schroder