[PLUG] Is PHP a good intro programming language?

Steven Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Wed Jan 29 20:43:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 20:15, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> In PHP it's easy to learn how to do quick and dirty stuff e.g Personal Home
> Page.
> While Perl is still easier than C/C++, it teaches you how to program
> correctly.

PHP is clearly a hypertext processor but the stats look like it's considerably
more usefull ( http://www.php.net/usage.php ) than "Personal Home Page".

I agree, Perl is a really good choice to promote the learning of good
programming habits. The transition from Perl to C/C++ is going to be a
challenge though. It takes a little more than good habits to get some folks
beyond the proper use of pointers.