[PLUG] Is PHP a good intro programming language?

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Fri Jan 31 08:52:01 UTC 2003

I completely agree with Galen. Assembler was my first
language and I learned it for every platform I touched
in the early years: 8008, 8080, Z80, RCA1802, SC/MP,
TI9900, 6502, 6800, 6809, PDP11, etc. It gave me an
understanding of computers that I would not now have
otherwise.

Ed

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 07:39, Galen Seitz wrote:
> I don't necessarily disagree with anything that has previously been
> said.  However, if any of your young programmers have aspirations to
> be a hardware designer, they might be better off learning C or even
> assembly (preferably not x86).  The advantage of C is that it is relatively
> easy to predict what instructions will generated by the compiler, which
> makes controlling hardware a little easier.
>
> The ideal situation would be a single
> board computer with lots of interesting I/O (LEDs, switches, audio, etc.),
> combined with the appropriate cross tools.  This would require a fair
> amount of hand holding at the beginning, but I can't think of a better
> way to really get to know hardware, short of designing and building
> it yourself.
>
> galen

Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC