[PLUG] broadbrand advice

Colin Kuskie ckuskie at dalsemi.com
Fri Jan 31 09:21:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:54:34AM -0800, Alice Corbin wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a broadband connection to the internet
> and am looking for advice.
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of a hub/firewall in the basement,
> with cables running up to the first and second floors.
>
> I'm not too thrilled with either ATT or Qwest, but they seem to be
> the only games in town.  But I'm really apprehensive about the
> wiring.  I live in a 1920's wood-frame house, with gobs of windows
> and blown-in insulation.
>
> Any suggestions?

It's really not hard to pull wire through walls, even with blown in
insulation.  Here's a list of materials:

1 box Cat 5 (may want to put in 5e for future 1000BaseT networking)

1 wire tape (also called a snake, but not a plumbing snake)

1 stout drill

1 drill bit large enough to accomodate the head of the snake, which
  is bigger than the Cat 5.

Several plastic remodeling/rework boxes.  These are standard plastic
electrical boxes with little tabs that turn out in order to lock
the box into place.  It's worth the cost to get the deep ones if
your walls are deep enough to accomodate them.

Networking wall jacks.  Home Depot sells some great modular ones
that you can mix with phone jacks, cable jacks, etc.

1 helper to be on the other end of the wire tape.

Tools to cut holes in walls and do patch work.

Measuring tape.

Home Depot has some great self-published how-to books on how to do
wiring when remodeling as well as techniques on how to avoid cutting
large holes to accomodate the drill.  Using channel hardware (which is
a plastic cover for wire exposed on a wall) could be a great time
saver, but keep it to unobtrusive corners if you're into decorating.

You can save a lot of work through careful planning.  For example, if
you can do your routing through interior walls, you can avoid the
insulation altogether.  I've also heard of people who route wire
through duct work, but if I remember right, that's against electrical
code unless you use a higher grade of wire (more insulation due to
heat/vibration).  Of course, you're doing it yourself so that may only
be a problem during an inspection (for example, if you decide to sell
your house someday).

You may also want to think about alternative network solutions.

1) Power-line networking.  This is expensive (last check 3 months
ago) but it's massively convenient.  You may have problems with
older wiring and fuse boxes (people who use a lot of X10 home
automation have a lot of experience with this.)  Depending
on how your house is wired into the main on the street, you
may also share your networking connection with your neighbors,
which could be good or bad :)

2) Wireless.  802.11b stuff is getting dirt cheap.  A few
months ago Frye's had 802.11b cards for $20 each after rebate,
but most people think with an 802.11b card you get what you
pay for, so do be careful.  You may end up sharing your
network with your neighbors as well.

3) Phone-line networking.  Not many people I know use it, or think
highly of it.  But it is available as an option.

Good luck!
Colin