[PLUG] broadbrand advice

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Fri Jan 31 09:50:02 UTC 2003

Colin Kuskie wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:54:34AM -0800, Alice Corbin wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking about getting a broadband connection to the internet
>>and am looking for advice.
>>
>>I'm thinking along the lines of a hub/firewall in the basement,
>>with cables running up to the first and second floors.
>>
>>I'm not too thrilled with either ATT or Qwest, but they seem to be
>>the only games in town.  But I'm really apprehensive about the
>>wiring.  I live in a 1920's wood-frame house, with gobs of windows
>>and blown-in insulation.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>

> It's really not hard to pull wire through walls, even with blown in
> insulation.  Here's a list of materials:

Colin's right.  But it's even easier if you just tear down all the walls.
Convince yourself that the plaster is falling apart and looks terrible, get
estimates from plaster contractors, then do it yourself using drywall.

Good time to update the electrical, too...

That said, having done the above myself, we tend to use wireless more than
the wall jacks.  But it is nice to know that I could someday move my desktop
out of the basement.

Plus if we ever made the right kind of friends, we could have whole-house
lan parties.

--
Kyle Accardi