[PLUG] Is XYZ a good intro programming language?

Phil Tomson ptkwt at aracnet.com
Fri Jan 31 11:34:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Preston Crawford wrote:

> [...]

I guess what I found amusing was the suggestion that you couldn't do
anything 'interesting' in C/C++... Where 'interesting' was defined as
being able to create clickable buttons, menus, etc.  The implication being
that you could only do these things with web apps - or maybe it would be
better to say 'apps that run inside of a browser'.  True, the web browser
is just another platform and (for the most part) it's a uniform platform
that runs on other platforms (but I've heard the horror stories about web
apps that run fine under Mozilla, Konqueror and Galeon, but do not work
under IE).

Most of the major scripting languages allow you to develop GUI apps which
work cross-platform so they can offer the same advantages as web-apps.

BTW: Given that the browser is just another platform, you could even use
C/C++ to develop web apps given the right libraries (not that I'm
advocating that :).

BTW2: Mozilla is becoming a platform in it's own right which you can
configure using XUL (XML based, so it's not really a programming
language) - it'll be interesting to see how many apps come out
using Mozilla as the GUI.

Phil