[PLUG] Is PHP a good intro programming language?

Mark Roberts mark at ecl.us
Fri Jan 31 13:07:02 UTC 2003

A lot of focus on the best language but what about debugging.  I nice
IDE goes a long way towards making a language usable for learning.  Ease
of debugging can make or break ones willingness to learn a language.

I've been having trouble finding a good open source debugger for PHP.
What does everyone do to debug PHP code, put in lots of print type
statements?

As for perl I havn't seen much in the way of IDE's either.

Being able to set breakpoints, single step and check variables
interactively can be the quickest way to learn what your code is doing.
Nothing like the ease of learning in an integrated edit, compile, go
environment.

I'd be interested to see this discussion focus more on debuggers and
development environment, and less on the languages, not that the
language itself is not important.

Mark