[PLUG] mp3 players -- separate from the system

Tyler Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Tue Jul 1 05:41:02 UTC 2003

Jeme wrote regarding mp3 players:

> Not to mention the fragility and wastefullness of those (kinda) big
> plastic disks.  (Not that I think Rich thinks twice about disposable
> anything.)

Some of them use mini-CDs, which make them pocket-sized, of course
those disks probably have less storage.

I understand the Neuros (http://open.neurosaudio.com) is the only mp3
player that officially supports linux, with plans for FreeBSD. They've
also contracted with Xiph.org to support Ogg, with beta firmware
available here:

http://www.xiph.org/neurosetta/

All software used for Neuros is also available under a BSD-style
license, according to their social contract:

http://open.neurosaudio.com/archives/000003.html

hth,

TFC