[PLUG] [PDXLUG July 01, 2003 Meeting Announcement]

david pool dpool at hevanet.com
Tue Jul 1 15:46:02 UTC 2003

Jeme A Brelin wrote:

>There's a small flaw in your reasoning here, David, if I may attempt to
>elucidate.
>
>PLUG (as we know it) is not a formal organization with any inhibiting
>structures or hierarchy that prevents a person from going out and doing
>whatever they feel needs doing to improve teh community.

Hm. I suppose technically this is true. If I wanted to do fundraising,
for example, I could say that I'm a member of the PLUG and start
soliciting people and organizations. I could decide to store the funds
in my own name and dedicate them to purchasing beer at spontaneous
gatherings (ie when I'm thirsty).

On the other hand, some people, like David Mandel, might object on the
basis that he gets thirsty too, and it's not fair that he's not getting
any beer.

The fact that the PLUG lacks formal organization, makes it unclear on
how to get agreement on my idea for a meeting fund. It's easier to set
up SLUGO and cleanly seperate who's funding my next round. Even better,
at SLUGO, we've got a clear decision criteria: Majority rule (and I'm
the only one who can vote).