[PLUG] [PDXLUG July 01, 2003 Meeting Announcement]

david pool dpool at hevanet.com
Wed Jul 2 07:44:02 UTC 2003

Holger Stephan wrote:

>You got to be kidding! Linux users in Portland a too large group for one
>name? If we keep splitting up when there are more than 38 of us we're
>not going to get anywhere.

Lets see... about a million people in the portland metro area, 70% of
them with computer access so 700,000. A conservative estimate is 2-3%
are using linux, but roll in the unixes like OS 10 and I'd wager it's
more like 5-10%. So that's between 35,000 - 70,000 users.

Even on the low end, that's a lot of people we're not reaching. If
people are interested in taking the initiative to start up a group with
a different focus than the PLUG, I think that's fine - go scratch the itch.

What's strange is to hear the argument that those doing so are
ego-maniacs AND we want them back in our group. I think the other
argument I'm hearing makes more sense: they're ego-maniacs AND we want
them in a seperate group with a very distinct group name.

Mind you, I'm not saying anyone is or isn't an ego-maniac, just that the
logic of the first argument seems flawed.

david