[PLUG] [PDXLUG July 01, 2003 Meeting Announcement]

Holger Stephan holger at selover.net
Wed Jul 2 08:03:01 UTC 2003

Ah - I thought we were talking about those who are geeky enough to meet
and discuss a computer OS. And who think using a particular OS makes a
difference in this world.

I understand your argument. You're probably right too. I just suggest we
don't try to keep the group free of difficult people and welcome the
creation of a new fraction when it gets a little heavier.

- Holger

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 07:44, david pool wrote:
    Holger Stephan wrote:

    >You got to be kidding! Linux users in Portland a too large group for one
    >name? If we keep splitting up when there are more than 38 of us we're
    >not going to get anywhere.

    Lets see... about a million people in the portland metro area, 70% of
    them with computer access so 700,000. A conservative estimate is 2-3%
    are using linux, but roll in the unixes like OS 10 and I'd wager it's
    more like 5-10%. So that's between 35,000 - 70,000 users.

    Even on the low end, that's a lot of people we're not reaching. If
    people are interested in taking the initiative to start up a group with
    a different focus than the PLUG, I think that's fine - go scratch the itch.

    What's strange is to hear the argument that those doing so are
    ego-maniacs AND we want them back in our group. I think the other
    argument I'm hearing makes more sense: they're ego-maniacs AND we want
    them in a seperate group with a very distinct group name.

    Mind you, I'm not saying anyone is or isn't an ego-maniac, just that the
    logic of the first argument seems flawed.

    david