[PLUG] Comcast complaint

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Thu Jul 3 11:23:01 UTC 2003

Tyler,

    Fortunately, my experience was a bit smoother.  I don't like to
admit it, but I had been using the Windows 2000 machine for some
real work a few weeks ago, so it was up to date with 128 bit encryption
and everything installed.  Moreover, the error messages I got weren't
completely fatal.  I was able to get around them or ignore them or
whatever.  Still:
    -  I was given false information by their tech.
    -  I had to install strange legacy equipment to do the installation.
    -  and the installation required more skill on my part than the
       typical customer has.

                                                        Dave

P.S.  On the other hand, it is fast, has decent availability, and is
      almost affordable.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Tyler Creelan wrote:

> David Mandel observed:
>
> > I just ordered Comcast in a new location.  Their tech
> > came and sort of installed things.  I mean he left before making
> > sure anything worked.  He didn't even have a laptop so he could
> > register the connection for the customer and the registration process
> > required an MS Windows PC.  I finally dug up a PC running Windows 2000
> > and tryed to run the install program.  Errors!! Errors!! Errors!!
> [..]
> > A less experienced user could have had real problems.
>
> The same thing happened to me and I was rather miffed. I'd even set up
> a pc running Win2k for him to test the connection with. When I
> tried the installer I got weird errors too, until finally on my second
> call to tech support they told me the installation required the Windows
> 128-bit encryption pack (?) and I had to get it from a friend, it wasn't
> on the CD.
>
> Furthermore the installation program didn't work at all anyway, because the
> registration server it pointed to was decommissioned, so I had to just
> manually type in the new server address. If only they'd just given me the
> address on a card to begin with I would have done everything under linux
> with mozilla. :P
>
> TFC

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel