[PLUG] OT: VoIP software?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Jul 5 11:59:01 UTC 2003

>Does anyone have recommendations for VoIP software?  Ideally I'd like it
>to be free (or very low cost), able to make computer-to-computer calls and
>computer-to-phone calls (not as important to me).  It doesn't have to run
>on Linux, but it would be a nice bonus if it did.
>Thanks,
>~M

Linux:
   kphone (SIP client)

Windows:
   free SIP client: Xten (http://www.xten.com/)

This is actually quite a large topic area.  I'd suggest starting
backwards, and find the vendor that you want to supply you with
computer-to-phone service and starting to use the software that works
with their protocols.  The most common protocols today are H.323 and
SIP, with SIP being really what is becoming the leading protocol for
DIY systems.  You should look at iconnecthere.com as a provider;
reasonable rates, and reasonable policies.

For more information, see:

http://www.pulver.com/products/sip/
http://www.iptel.org/info/products/

I'm considering doing a PLUG presentation on Asterisk, which is an
Open-Source telephony server that will support VoIP channels as well
as analog.  However, time is a bit on the scarce side these days...

JT