[PLUG] .muttrc

Steve Christiansen steveshome at comcast.net
Sat Jul 5 12:17:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 02:45:04PM -0400, Brian Derr wrote:
> I've been using mutt to read email for a while now and I notice
> that when I hit 'c' to change mailboxen sometimes it will automatically
> have an inbox selected for me.  Most of the time, however, it doesn't.
> Does anyone know of a setting that I can put in my .muttrc to make it
> have that behavior all the time (if there are new messages in that inbox
> anyway)?

>From the mutt docs:

  3.11.  Defining mailboxes which receive mail

  Usage: mailboxes [!]filename [ filename ... ]

  This command specifies folders which can receive mail and which will
  be checked for new messages.  By default, the main menu status bar
  displays how many of these folders have new messages.

  When changing folders, pressing space will cycle through folders with
  new mail.

  Pressing TAB in the directory browser will bring up a menu showing the
  files specified by the mailboxes command, and indicate which contain
  new messages.  Mutt will automatically enter this mode when invoked
  from the command line with the -y option.

  Note: new mail is detected by comparing the last modification time to
  the last access time.  Utilities like biff or frm or any other program
  which accesses the mailbox might cause Mutt to never detect new mail
  for that mailbox if they do not properly reset the access time.
  Backup tools are another common reason for updated access times.

  Note: the filenames in the mailboxes command are resolved when the
  command is executed, so if these names contain ``shortcut characters''
  (such as ``='' and ``!''), any variable definition that affect these
  characters (like ``$folder'' and ``$spool'') should be executed before
  the mailboxes command.

--
Steve Christiansen
Linux/UNIX Software Developer