[PLUG] Mouse Wheel - Next Question

Siobhan Elliott siobhan at spiderland.net
Sun Jul 6 19:28:01 UTC 2003

begin  electrogrammati illius Andrew Dennis
> I went back, read the web page and got the mapping right.  My
> next question has to do with mouse performance.  The movement
> on the screen is rather chunky.  The refresh rate seems very low
> and it's tough to hit the right spot when trying to click on small icons.
> I have upped the resolution seen below to 160.  I can't tell if it helps
> or not.  There is a brief period ( about 10 seconds) during the login
> process when the mouse works really well, but after the desktop
> settles down, the chunkiness returns.  Anyone had this problem and
> know the fix?

I am not sure what is causing the problem, but you can use 'xset' command
to, amongst other things, adjust your mouse parameters (acceleration
and threshold) (man xset, look for 'mouse'). I use a Logitech Optical
and it seemed a bit grindy and slow also, but with:

xset m 2/1 4

in my .xinitrc it is now downright, er, zippy.

HTH,

> Thanks
>
> Andy

Siobhan
--
"Dave Bowman has his run-in with the monolith and suddenly we've got
the quinessentially '60s interpretation of infinity: a bad LSD trip