[PLUG] Re: Volunteers for Booth at O'Reilly Open Source Conference

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Sun Jul 6 23:55:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Andrew Calvo wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Could you send this message out to all of your User Groups that you just
> sent this message to? Let me know...It would be great if you could send
> this out by Monday morning.

Andrew,

    I would be glad to send it out.  I hope no one considers this SPAM.
Of course, most of us do not regard HELP WANTED ads to be SPAM - certainly
not in the current economy.  (People, the following is an announcement
of positions at Amazon.com)  Actually, one PLUG member
took a job at Amazon.com a few years ago after getting his Ph.D. from
the Oregon Graduate Center.  The last I heard he was quite happy there.

                                                            Dave

> [...]
> >things for this, but I have taken a NEW JOB and won't be available.
> >As a result, Dale Zeutenhorst <dzeut at MicroSharp.com> has been kind
> >enough to step in at the last minute and take over.  He will need
> >volunteers to help man (or woman) the booth.
> >
> >So,
> >
> >     (1)  If anyone has any ideas on the best (and cheapest) way
> >          of using this space and want to help contact Dale.
> >
> >     (2)  Also, I signed up for the booth as the Portland Linux/Unix Group,
> >          but we would love to have people from the Mid-Willamette
> >          Valley Linux Users Group and the Eugene Linux Users Group
> >          and the groups in Astoria and Tillamook and Bend and Medford
> >          or where ever.   If anyone is coming from where ever bring
> >          some literature for the table if you have any.  Also, a small
> >          sign would be nice.  Since we registered as the Portland
> >          Linux/Unix Group the conference will provide us with a sign
> >          (I assume), but we are happy to share with other groups.
> >          This booth is definitely non-commercial, but it is ok
> >          to make people aware of key group sponsors and group
> >          consultant lists and things like that.  Just keep it low key.
> >          Is Free Geek coming to the conference?  If not, we would
> >          have some of their flyers on the table.  What about
> >          LinuxFund.org?
> >
> >     (3)  Finally, we need volunteers to man the booth.
> >          If you don't have a conference pass at this point, you may
> >          still be able to get one by volunteering to man the booth,
> >          but volunteer SOON.  Dale needs to get the name of our
> >          volunteers to O'Reilly ASAP.  We are really late on this.
> >          Also, I don't know what type of pass O'Reilly will give
> >          conference volunteers, but they have hinted that it might
> >          be a pretty good pass if there aren't too many of them.
> >          So, it you want to volunteer contact:
> >                     Dale Zeutenhorst <dzeut at MicroSharp.com>
> >          with your:
> >                     Name (first and last):
> >                     Email address:
> >                     Phone number:
> >                     Information Dale can use to schedule you.
> >

> >                                           Sincerely,
> >                                           David Mandel
> >                                           Chief Activist
> >                                           Portland Linux/Unix Group
> >                                           1440 NE 59th
> >                                           Portland, Oregon 97213
> >                                           (541) 730-5285 cell
> >
> >    ======================================================================
> >    David Mandel                        http://www.DavidMandel.com
> >    Portland Linux/Unix Group           http://pdxLinux.org
> >    LinuxFund                           http://LinuxFund.org
> >    ======================================================================
>
> Conferences Sales Manager
> O'Reilly & Associates
> 1005 Gravenstein Highway North
> Sebastopol, CA 95472
>
> 707-827-7000 main
> 707-827-7176 direct
> 707-823-9746 fax

> The 5th O'Reilly Open Source Convention July 7-11, 2003
> Portland Marriott Downtown, Portland, OR

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist
                                          Portland Linux/Unix Group