[PLUG] Etherboot.

Petcher, Danielx J danielx.j.petcher at intel.com
Mon Jul 7 09:50:02 UTC 2003

<snip>

> Reading Intel's doc it looks like PXE is an extension to dhcp and that
> it can work with any PXE compliant card with a single generic ethernet
> card driver. What I don't get is what as far as PXE my mobo has on it
> and if I want to flash a network boot program into my onboard ethernet
> how I go about that.  I don't even know if I can use an etherboot disk
> on this thing.  My mobo is a D845PEBT2.

<more snippage>

[Daniel Petcher]

If there's an Intel NIC on that motherboard, there are two ways to get
at the Intel Boot Agent: IBAUTIL.EXE is a DOS-based utility that will
edit boot settings on the Flash EEPROM of the NIC to allow you to set
some parameters regarding what protocols it will listen for on POST.

The second way is to hit CTRL-S to interrupt the POST (Power-On Self
Test) at the moment your system is scanning the PCI bus for your NIC.
This action will bring-up a menu-driven interface for configuring the
NIC's Boot Agent.

I don't think I've expressed any opinions in this message, but if I
have, you can be assured that they are not necessarily the opinions of
Intel. I'm just a contractor testing network software drivers there.

-djp