[PLUG] Comcast: Static IP

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Mon Jul 7 12:47:02 UTC 2003

Can you sign up with a service that will adapt the Internet name servers to your
current ip, a dynamic dns service?  I know the change for static ips when I changed
over took a couple of days to sync.  I imagine there have to be dynamic services
that update more quickly.  For one thing, a dial up ISP is usually a dynamic ip
system where often times an individual modem has a a static ip assigned it but
you don't always get the same modem.  Doesn't tinydns or Bind 9 have a runtime
ip to ethernet name mapping mechanism?  Ed Sawicki is the expert on the latter.

Ironically, I have dns and dhcp but I use static assignments because I don't know how
to program a particular hostname to be assigned an ip in a certain range thereafter
triggering a dns update at assignment time so that other people can look up that
name at it's affective ip without my needing to maintain a range or ip list.

I don't run but three servers and my workstations/terminals probably don't need the
level of identification they have, but then again I want to allow internal servers.

>When I first got @Home, I had a static IP because my Mac couldn't handle the
>dynimic one they were trying to give us. When ATTBi took over, they removed
>the >static IP, but that was okay as we didn't use the Mac any more. I didn't
>aruge that. Now I am in need of a static IP for my server. Does anyone know of
>any way to get one?? I REALLY need this, as a IP changing every 3 days sucks.

Try checking register.com and ask them if they can offer you a service that will
track your dynamic ip address.  Static ip at opus costs a one time $50 to get
bridged which turns the router into a transparent pass through and then an
additional $5/month or so for each static ip.

One trick you could try is to use your old PC to get the comcast to work and then
hook your Mac up to it to share the connection.  One thing to look at is if you can
get a true router box as opposed to an internal card where often these only work
under Windows because of the collusion that Microsoft and sadly Intel also are so
famous for.  In all fairness IBM, Compaq, HP, etc. have occasionally committed the
crime of collusion and rigging also.

      --  Michael Robinson